Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Spring In Spain

April 21st,

I'm writing this in the cafe down my street that has free wireless internet.  As of last week our internet has been out in the house, so I haven't had a chance to update my blog.  Here is a quick description of what's been going on in the last weeks since coming back from Egypt.

The rest of Semana Santa was relaxing, fun and culturally interesting.  All of Andalucía was celebrating the holy week before Easter with huge processions.  Had I just arrived in Granada I would have been a little surprised as the giant, exquisitely decorated statues of the Virgin and Jesus were being carried by people dressed in multi-colored Ku Klux Klan hoods marching to the beat of drums.  The rain put a damper on the day, but it was fun to see something very Spanish while living here in Granada.

School has seriously picked up and I have a lot of work to do in these last 6 weeks before finals and summer.  It is crazy to think that I have been here in Spain for over 8 months and will be leaving relatively soon.  

For future trips, I'll be in Almería this weekend to visit Antonio's hometown for their spring festival.  We'll be staying in his friend's beach house.  In May, Heiko, Antonio and I we'll be heading to Lisbon for a long weekend.  I'm excited to see Portugal.  My dad and brother will be coming to visit me as soon as I finish finals.  The day they leave, I'll begin my last trip of the year with a three week tour through Greece and Turkey. 

Its been an incredible year and here at the end things only seem to be picking up.  I'll be home in California August 1st.

No comments: