Thursday, May 28, 2009

Living The Good Life In Granada

April 9th,

I woke up late, eating breakfast in the kitchen and going out on my balcony to write with my shirt off at my table.  I was feeling a little sick but the warm sun felt nice. 

For lunch, Antonio and I had some of the risotto that Heiko had made.  Antonio made some after lunch coffee and we relaxed in our sunny living room in our white, IKEA chairs.  Living it up in Granada.

We went to a tetería, tea house, for a second tea at a place we'd been meaning to go to the whole year.  A beautiful tea house with ivy covering the walls.  The dark wood interior was inviting.  Quiet corners and low tables.  We sat at one with a beautiful view of the street outside.  We ordered our drinks and a hookah and relaxed as the afternoon came and went.

That night we met up with our Erasmus friends and went for tapas in the center.  I will miss how easily social Granada is next year.  

Walking back home from tapas, we headed down Calle Mesones.  There were lines  of people on both sides of the street, silent.  We walked through the middle before realizing that it was one of the processions.  Had I just come to Granada, I would have been a little scared as hundreds of hooded figures in black KKK robes held long red candles that dripped hot wax on the street.  We watched them, the entire street silent.  A constant drum beat from a solitary drummer reverberated between the buildings.  A surreal scene.  

Tired, we cut back past the cathedral and came home, Puerta Real and Recogidas packed with people.

No comments: