Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Lunch In Barcelona. Dinner in Granada

April 7th,

I woke up at 9:00am and took a shower.  For breakfast I had some muffins and juice that Alex and Vanessa had put in the kitchen for my visit.  

I began to write in my journal trying to get got up from the Egypt trip.  Vanessa came over to the apartment to begin her work.  It was cold and rainy in Barcelona, the exact opposite of the hot weather in Egypt.  I called Veronica and Melissa at 10:00 as they had said  yesterday that they would be down to meet up for lunch.  Just waking up they said they would call me when they were ready.  

At 12:20 the girls called me and we agreed to meet up at the Plaza Catalonia and then go to "4 Cats," the restaurant from "Vicky, Christina, Barcelona."  I said goodbye to Vanessa and then went to the taxi stop to hail a cab.  I was glad I had brought a jacket as it was cold.  

I didn't arrive in Plaza de Catalonia until almost 1pm.  I was easy to spot in my fedora and green back pack.  I was happy to see the girls.  They were tired, but had rested a little at their couchsurfer's house.  We walked down form Plaza Catalonia, passing a lot of the retail stores and heading in the direction of the gothic quarter.  We came just before it got really crowded, finding a table for the three of us.

4 Cats had been featured in the scene in Vicky, Christina Barcelona, when Javier Bardem's character asks the girls to come away with him for the weekend.  They had an excellent lunch menu that came with wine, appetizers and a main course.  I had to keep looking at my watch as I  had to be at the airport by 2:30.  We still had a nice lunch, already reminiscing a little over Egypt.  Melissa received a call from Ramon Piñon, the director of the program inviting us over to dinner as our study abroad advisor, Molly Ann McCaren was visiting Granada during Semana Santa.  Melissa couldn't make it due to her Italy trip but I told Ramon that I would there for dinner. 

I left my money on the table, said goodbye to the girls and left the restaurant.  I caught a taxi and I talked with the driver on the way over to the airport.

At the airport, I didn't have to wait very long before boarding my flight.  The flight was easy and we made it safely back to Granada.  On the ground, I met one of my old ILP professors and I told him about my year and my trips.  I was able to catch a micro-bus back to the center and was back home by 6:30pm.  

Back home in my apartment, I talked to Antonio and got settled in.  We put in some of the videos Antonio had taken from the trip which were hilarious.  If I have time I'll edit a movie.  I called Ramon and was told to come over.  I went over to their house around 8:30 arriving as they were making dinner.

I talked with Molly Ann, her son Matthew, the Piñons and their daughter Becca and her college friend from NYU, telling them about my year.  It was a great dinner full of interesting conversation.  It was nice to have been invited.  Outside we could hear the Semana Santa processions.  I said goodnight and thank you and left the piso with Becca who was going to watch the procession.  I went home to prepare for the next day and get some much needed sleep.


No comments: