Thursday, May 28, 2009

Rain On the Parade And The Perfecting Of An Image

April 11th,

Waking up, I immediately turned on my computer and began updating my blog.  I would dedicate another whole day to updating it.  I had finally completed my trip with my mom and was beginning to write about Egypt.

It was just Antonio and me in the piso today as Heiko and Karo had gone to Sevilla to see the biggest Semana Santa festival in Andalucía.  We went grocery shopping and came back to make a shared lunch.  The day was cold and threatening to rain.  I received a call from Jenny inviting me to see the biggest day of Semana Santa.  Today there would be a procession that only happened every 100 years.   I said I would meet her at the flag pole by Triunfo.

Navigating through the multitude of people jammed to the max on Mesones and by the Cathedral, I squeezed my way through to San Juan de Dios eventually making it to the flag pole.  The cold weather had allowed me to wear my heavy coat some more before putting it away for good.  I met Jenny and Kevin and we headed back the way I had just came, deciding to wait a the alleyway by the cathedral to try and get the best view of the processions.  We were soon committed to our location whether we wanted to stay or not as thousands of people blocked us in, each one trying to get the position available. 

For the next two hours we watched the once in a 100 years procession, our necks stretching to see above the crowd.  The "floats" with scenes of the Passion were exquisitely decorated with candles, flowers, gold and silver.  We were standing next to a another group of Americans from Lenguas Modernas.  The whole crowd was jealous of the people in the pisos overlooking the plaza with their perfect views of the procession.  The procession kept being delayed as the weather would turn bad.  I guess the rain was not good for the floats as the bearers would run them back to the church despite the heavy weight.  Once all of the floats were back in the church, the sun would come out.  Once the floats came back out, it would start to rain again.  God was playing a cruel joke on this weekend before Easter.  People in the front of the crowd would put up their umbrellas and everyone in the back would yell to close them.  

I stayed until 7:00pm before leading the way to escape the crowd, Jenny behind me.  It took me a while to get back home as I had to go out onto Gran Vía and take a lot of side streets back.  I sat in the living room with Antonio and loaded up the rest of my photos from Egypt onto facebook.  Like that, my trip had officially ended and processed for the world to see.  I worked a little more on my blog before going to bed.

No comments: