Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Last Day of ILP

September 17th

Today was the last day of ILP.  My final three classes were comprehension, literature, and history.  In my comprehension class, we had debates over polemic issues like gay marriage, abortion and, more Spain specific, "la botellón," or drinking in public.  After our discussions, the professor gave us a list of dirty words in Spanish that we should not say.  I found it pretty funny and joked that if they didn't want us to use any of these words why would they give us the handout.

Literature was fantastic as the professor gave a strong critique of Federico García Lorca and literature in general.  I would definitely like to take a class with this professor although I plan on sticking only with political science.  We finished our history class with a discussion of Franco and Spain's present day situation.  I find it difficult to believe that it is only a little over 30 years since the death of Franco and reformation of Spanish society.

After lunch, I went back up to my room to finish my two essays for my literature class.  The topics were broad, as one dealt with any Spanish literary work, while the other simply asked for our opinion about literature.

At 7:00, I went to a "papelería" (office supply store) with some other students to print out our essays and laminate our new University of Granada student ID cards.  I've been reading about the financial situation in the US and am worried that the exchange rate will get worse, so I went to an ATM and withdrew some money at the current 1.4 exchange rate.  

Back at the residencia I reviewed my notes and studied until 12:00am.

No comments: