Monday, September 8, 2008

A Lot of Sleep and the Planning for the Next Adventure




September 7th

I had gone out for tapas with Antonio and Heiko and was so tired that I decided to sleep at my apartment.  I woke up around 11:00 and decided to walk back to the residencia by only taking "new" streets.  

After about an hour, I made it back to the residencia.  My meandering had led me to find some beautiful places that I don't think I would have found otherwise.  To the right of my apartment is a river lined with a beautiful lit walkway and gardens.  I followed the path along the river then cut back toward the direction of the Alhambra and the residencia by going through the "Albaycín," the ancient Arab quarter built in the 1300s.  I got lost in the Albaycín, but eventually made my way out.  It was a good walk and I was glad to explore the city at my own pace.

Back at the residencia, I finished my homework and then more or less "solidified" my travel plans for the week off that I will have between the ILP and my actual university of Granada classes.  I had been talking with people the last week to see what they were planning on going.  The majority of people were planning on going to Amsterdam.  I had sent emails to my friends who were studying in Paris and received messages saying that I could come and stay with them.  I booked my roundtrip tickets on Ryan Air from Madrid to Paris for less than 100 euro.  Paris is one of the main cities that I want to see and since I'll have friends to stay with, I won't have to worry about accommodations.  I leave the 21st and come back the 27th.  Those days in between, I have no set plans, which is both cool and kind of scary.

I kept up with my recuperation by taking advantage of the siesta.  I did a little extra review of vocabulary and then went downstairs to the "TV room" to watch part of the Chargers football game that one of the guys on the program was having streamed to his computer.  Not even 7,000 miles, and the total lack of interest in American Football outside the United States would stop him from rooting for his favorite team.

No comments: