Monday, June 8, 2009

8 Months In Spain!

April 14th,

I woke up at 9:30 and went for a run along the river, around the Parque de Ciencías and back up my street.  For not having run in a while, I felt pretty good.  Back home, I stretched on the roof and took a shower. 

The rest of the morning I spent working on my essays for Master Tutoría.  I have a ton of work in the next few weeks and knew I should get a head start on everything now while I had the time.  I went to go shopping at Mercado Central before it closed at 2:00pm.  Having now made a routine route through the market, I stopped at the local butcher for filleted chicken breast and then went to the cheese man where I have been trying all of the different Spanish cheeses.  I bought some more manchego, cured sheep cheese and some really good salami.  I came back home to start lunch and continue working. 

Such is Granada.  As I was putting away my groceries, I received a call from Jenny saying she was with her Spanish friend Elena and wanted to know if I wanted to come to tapas with them.  I instead invited them up for an impromptu lunch.  I've certainly improved as a host as I made some great bocadillos.  We talked about school and relationships until 4:00pm when I told them I needed to study but that we would hang out soon.  I cleaned up the kitchen and went into my room to continue working.

I decided to go to the Facultad early and look for a book that I would need for Teoría del Estado.  Class was interesting although I will have a lot of work to do.  After class, I read in the library from my new book "El Futuro de la Política."

At salsa, I had a good time dancing with all of the Spanish girls.  I was improving a lot.  It was starting to rain as I hurried home to pay the month's rent.

I took my large amount of money and binder with past months receipts into the kitchen to talk with my land lord.  This month we were paying an exorbitant amount in utilities and I was sure that there was some kind of error.  In the end everything was correct, we had just spent a ton of money on gas, water and electricity.  I now saw just how expensive it is to live in the world and how important it is to have a good job.  

I made dinner before hanging out with Antonio, checking my email and going to bed. 

2 comments:

Mollie922 said...

Hi There-

I've enjoyed reading your posts. It sounds like you're having an incredible adventure in Granada. Congrats on choosing to live there.

I work for a new study abroad website- Gulliver, which is dedicated to helping students go abroad. Our blog is open to informational and fun stories- like yours. We always welcome guest bloggers. Stories like these are great for students considering studying abroad. If you'd like to write for out blog please let me know! We'd really appreciate it! Personally, I've yet to visit Spain, so you're advice is more rewarding! Feel free to email me at mcaselli922@gmail.com . Thanks and Enjoy the rest of your time abroad!

Liz said...

living in madrid starting oct 09-may 10. wondering what kind of cell phone service you got. last time i lived in spain i used vodafone pay as you go, but as ill be there for 8 months, i figured you might have a better answer. thanks!
liz