Monday, June 8, 2009

BBQ!


April 18th,

I woke up at 10:30 from the night before, ready and excited for the day.  I was so excited to show off our ridiculous outfits that we had bought yesterday.  Hot pink shorts and trendy screen print tees.  After showering and eating a quick breakfast, I put on my "BBQ costume," and then went into the kitchen to begin marinating the steak.  I did put on my normal shorts to go to the convenience store next door to buy some more supplies.  The day was beautiful despite being a little cloudy.  I was hoping that the rain would hold off.  Back inside, I found Antonio and Heiko also in their ridiculous outfits and preparing everything we would need for the BBQ.

The weather was nice so we decided to move everything upstairs.  Up on the terraza we removed the clotheslines and set up the tables.  We took up Albertito's speakers, stretching an extension chord down two floors from the roof to his open window.  Heiko's fake plant topped off the decorations.

No one came until almost 2:oopm.  Corinne was the first and Kevin came next.  Enrico, our Italian friend came and we began the party.  We continued making the terraza better by putting our huge plank of plywood up on the coffee table to make it three times as big.  A lot of people started to come and pretty soon the BBQ was in full swing.  Antonio's Spanish friends, Chupi and Carlos came bringing with them lots of drinks and food from their green house in Almería.  Chupi gave me a San Fermín running of the bulls red sash.  It went well with my ridiculous outfit.  I loved socializing and catching up with everyone as the majority of the people from my program came.

In charge of the grill, I began to cook all of the food that everyone had generously brought to share.  The heat was weird, so things cooked at different rates.  We cursed at the clouds to stay away and continued with the fantastic afternoon, enjoying the good food and better company.

Eventually the weather won the battle of wills and we were forced to move everything inside.  The festivities didn't stop though as we turned on the dance music and soon everyone was up and turning our living room into a discoteca.  By 9:00pm most people had left.  A core group still remained and we left the house and went for tapas.  We must have sold our souls to ensure good weather for the majority of the BBQ because as we left the apartment we were ambushed by a heavy rain.  We went to Poë and Omkalsum for tapas and came back to my apartment.  After hanging out with Albertito and Heiko, I said goodnight and fell asleep by 2:00am.

No comments: