Monday, June 8, 2009

Of Monasteries and Butterflies

April 16th,

I woke up at 9:00, showered and had just finished getting dressed when Corinne rang the door phone saying she was here.  Today we were meeting up for breakfast before Corinne's doctors appointment on this side of the city.  We wanted to go to the tea house down the street for "American Breakfast."  It was closed.  After a moment of indecision, we decided to do churros and chocolate at the famous Café-fútbol.  Finding a table for two on the second level, we had the best churros I've had in Granada.  We exchanged stories from our trips, Corrine telling me about her time to Portugal.  We had a good time and I came home to sit with Heiko on his balcony.

We window shopped on the way to the facultad.  Today I wanted to visit the Cartuja Monastery that despite living next to it during the summer for one month, I still hadn't visited.  I caught the bus at Fuente Nueva and took it to the ancient monastery on the hill.  It was truly incredible and exquisite.  The interior complex and orange grove was nice.  Wandering the hallways, I saw terribly violent and warped paintings describing the martyrdom of the monks.  At the end of the hallway, I came into the Chapel and was really impressed.  Minutely detailed, vibrantly colored marble pillars held up the incredible altarpiece of the chapel.  I spent a long time marveling at its design.

Leaving the Cartuja, I kept climbing the hill to the Facultad de Filosofía y Letras where I looked for a book for my history project.  I wanted to write about either the Spanish Civil War or Spain's role in World War II.  I checked out two.  

Back home I made a bocadillo and began an essay for Master Tutoría.  I then met another friend from my program, Kendra, who I hadn't seen for a while for an afternoon coffee.  We ended up going to the Loft restaurant next door to my apartment as everything else was somehow closed.  We had a good time catching up.  I went back up to my room to finish writing and get ready for class.

Teoría del Estado was interesting.  I read in the library for an hour afterwords before going to Salsa.  In salsa class we learned some more advanced moves that involved stepping over the girl and lifting her up from behind.  

The social calendar would continue as tonight I had been invited over to Melissa's house for a large dinner that she was doing for everyone in the program.  I stopped by the grocery store and picked up a bottle of wine to bring over.  Everyone came over and it was great to catch up on all of the Spring break adventures.  Corinne had brought her friend Finn from Ireland.  He was a really cool guy who is currently biking across Europe, from Portugal to the Hungary.  We had some great Mexican food for dinner.  Most people had already left when Peter, our Erasmus friend from England who we had met last quarter and who is now studying in Bologna, Italy, came over to say hi as he was visiting Granada for the weekend.  We stayed at Melissa's until 3:30am talking.

Peter and I walked back from Plaza de Toros to the Facultad.  It was raining and a bit cold.  Saying goodbye and telling him to stay in touch I walked back home.

1 comment:

Costa Tropical Villas said...

If you are in Granada this week it is well worth going to the celebrations for Corpus Christi at the fair ground (not the best part of the city - near the bus station think it is La Chana) - I went last year and it poured with rain (or was that the year before).

It is one of the big annual celebrations in the City. I think it starts on thursday!

I hope you continue to enjoy your time there I have lived in the US (San Francisco / Marin county) and here in Spain life is very different still in the second half of the last Century.

Also enjoy Granada while you can - after an unusually cold winter the heat should be turned up a notch soon! Then you probably won't feel like going running anymore.

Good luck - wish I could do the same but my wife would kill me!