Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Home to Granada

September 28th

I woke up at 12:30 feeling much better from the day before.  Although I had wanted to try and cram some more visits to famous sites, I had a low key rest of the day before my bus to Beauvais at 3:00.  I helped Emily and Rochelle make breakfast/lunch and quickly packed my one book bag.  They were meeting with other students from their university that evening, but I went with them to the metro and said goodbye at the transfer station.  

The bus from Paris to Beauvais was relatively fast and I arrived at the Beauvais airport with plenty of time before my flight.  RyanAir didn't even allow check in until 2 hours before the flight, so I decided to walk around the surrounding area.  

Beauvais itself was a beautiful, quaint town with small country houses and flower beds lining the streets.  I walked once through the town and then returned to a park where I sat on a bench enjoying the day and writing about my experiences of the week in my journal.

I took my time walking back to the airport and ran into the other Granada kids.  It was good to see them and we exchanged stories about our week in Paris.

We arrived in Madrid at 9:00pm but our bus for Granada didn't leave until 1:30am.  We tried to get on an earlier bus at 11:30 but it was full.  Waiting for two extra hours wasn't that bad concerning the amount of time I had spent waiting and in transit the past week.

There was a lot of rain as we traveled south to Granada.  I slept most of the way and woke up when we arrived in Granada at 6:30 in the morning.  It was a nice night/day and I didn't want to pay for a taxi, so I walked the 45 minutes back to my apartment in the center of the city.  I took a shower and slept until 12:00pm.

The rest of the day  I organized what I would need for my first day of classes tomorrow.  It had been an amazing vacation and the first trip that I had ever planned and implemented myself.  I was glad to be back in Granada and found it funny that I considered Granada my home.  I realize that I have many "homes" and that "home" is the physical place for the idea of safety and tranquility from the outside world.

No comments: