Thursday, October 16, 2008

The Importance of History

October 9th

Outside was cold and the dark sky threatened of rain.  I didn't have class until the afternoon so I spent the morning doing homework and researching what clubs, activities, and organizations are available to University of Granada students.  At UCSD I had become so involved with the university through a number of different organizations that its a little weird here in Spain to not have non-academic commitments to the university.  Although I've met a lot of Erasmus and Spanish students through my roommates, I've found it a little difficult to meet Spanish students on my own accord.

I walked to the campus of Fuente Nueva and found the Center for Activities and Sports.  Most of my questions were answered by a very helpful worker, who went through three brochures about all of the activities, intramural sports, and clubs available through the UGR.  There are weekly hiking excursions for 15 euros (or the whole season for 50 euros) and once the weather gets cold enough, there are a lot of classes and trips for skiing and snowboarding.  The recreational classes offered range from yoga to kickboxing.  There are also intramural sports but I was still a little confused on how to join them.  I didn't sign up for anything as I wanted to read over the brochures.

On my way back to my piso, I stopped by one of the shops by the the cathedral and purchased an Andalucían flag that is now hanging in my room.  Its green and white with a drawing of Hercules petting two lions.  On it is the slogan "Andalucía por si, por España, y la humanidad," translating to "Andalusia for ourselves, for Spain, and for the world."

I made lunch and had plans of taking a siesta before my class at 5:30.  Instead, I spent a long time talking to Nathalie about "history," specifically how the history of the 20th century is taught in Germany.  I asked her how both World Wars, the Holocaust, the division of Germany during the Cold War and its subsequent reunification are taught in German schools.  We had a great discussion as I shared what I had learned about the same period of history from my American perspective.  Nathalie, who has lived in the US for one year when she was 12 and has been exposed to both perspectives, said that the view of the recent history in Germany was very critical of their recent past.  As it turned out, her family was actually from East Germany on the Soviet side of the Iron Curtain.  She told me how one of her aunts had escaped to West Germany, and how there was still discrimination of former East Germans by West Germans in the present day.  She also had a grandmother who survived the fire bombing of Dresden.

Alberto joined in the conversation and I asked him how the Franco regime is taught in Spanish schools.  I found it very interesting to learn about the "same" history through three distinct and different perspectives.  Although my generation did not commit any of the atrocities on both sides in the past, I feel that we are still linked to them and they are part of our heritage.  Its our job to remember history as to not repeat the mistakes of the past.

Talking to Alberto, it turned out we have the same exact majors and career goals.  He is also a poli sci and film major.  I asked him where he was taking film classes at the Universidad de Granada as I had had been unable to find any film program.  He told me that the UGR didn't offer film classes and instead was going to a second private university in Granada specifically for film.  I spent a half an hour showing him the videos I had made.

My classes went well and I was glad to be done with the week.  I have a lot to read and study but I'm improving each day.

Back at my apartment we had a pre-road trip meeting at 8:30.  After a lot of debating and back and forth discussion, we ended up renting two cars and reserving a hostel.  We'll go to Seville for sure on Saturday to Sunday and perhaps go somewhere else on Monday as we have the cars for the whole weekend.

That night we went to two great tapas bars and I met a lot of American kids from all over the United States.  They're all doing a collective program that is significantly less intense.  They're staying with home stay families, and despite the cool experience of living with a family, they were all jealous of my living situation.  They're all leaving at the semester and have been trying to travel to a new country every weekend.  In the end they'll go to more places than I will, but I don't know how great of an experience they're receiving as they are rushing through so many places.

No comments: