Wednesday, October 8, 2008

More Erasmus Festivities

October 3rd

Even though I didn't have class today, I was still productive as I went to my college and picked up all of the packets and texts that were currently available for my classes.  My goal this weekend was to explore Granada.  I planned to walk around and find the spots that were off the beaten path.
On my way back from the college, I ran into some other ILP students who I hadn't seen for a couple of weeks.  I caught up with them as we wandered the long and primarily student-populated street of "Ronda."  On my way back to my piso, I stopped at a fresh produce stand that I had discovered and bought some locally grown fruits and vegetables.

That afternoon, Heiko, Nathalie, and I walked to the other side of Granada to buy things at the Wal-Mart equivalent store, Al Campo.  I bought school supplies and found a great map of Europe that I put up in my room.  Heiko and I almost bought a portable grill, as we have been wanting to have a bbq, but we resisted the temptation and decided to wait and think about it as to avoid it being a purely impulse buy.  We took the bus back as we had a lot of stuff.  After a quick dinner, I took a two hour siesta so as not to be tired for the large Erasmus party that would be happening later tonight.  

Some Erasmus organization had rented out the dance club called the "Camborio" up in the Albayzín.  It supposedly had a fantastic view of the Alhambra.  The party was technically just for Erasmus students so I practiced my British accent just in case they would be checking.

We met up with our other Erasmus and California friends and then made our way up the tiny, winding cobblestone streets of the Albayzín.  The club itself was really cool as it was built into the side of the mountain and had multiple levels with outside patios and dance floors.  I guess I wasn't the only American who had crashed the Erasmus party as the majority of students I talked to were all from different states in the US.  There was a large group of students from Pennsylvania and Mississippi.  Everyone had a great time and we were back at our apartment by the very late/early time of 5:30am.

No comments: