Friday, October 17, 2008

Two Months in Spain

October 14th

Since I didn't have class until late that afternoon, I tried to be productive from the get go.  I went grocery shopping, did laundry, and finished reading.  The rain was coming down hard as I walked over to the UC study center to have things clarified about my classes.

My one class was canceled so I spent the extra time reading in the library.  My "Teoría del Estado" class was good.  Initially I felt that I understood everything, although I felt a little lost at the end.  I'm improving each day and the professors and advisors tell us not to worry as these first few months are expected to be difficult with the language.

That night I went over to one of the EAP girl's houses for her "Mexican-themed" birthday party.  We had all been told to bring some sort of Mexican food dish. I brought an avocado, lime, and salsa and made fresh guacamole.  The majority of the people from the program came over and it was fun catching up with everyone.  Time has gone by really fast and I realized that I hadn't seen some of the people since the end of ILP almost a month ago.  I had an interesting conversation about American politics with one of my friend's roommates from Morocco.  We disagreed on a lot but it was interesting to here his opinion of the US and our foreign policies.  In addition to political discussions, I talked tentatively with different people about future trips.  It was a nice evening and I like how we American students have made a "home base" network that we can come back to.

No comments: