Monday, December 8, 2008

"And We Climbed To A Castle On A Hill"


























December 6th.

So much for 8:00am.  We woke up at 10:30 and walked into the kitchen to see breakfast already waiting for us.  I had toast with some fantastic homemade honey.

It was raining as usual in Santander and Mike was considering changing our plans of a hike as he didn't want me to get my one pair of jeans wet.  I told him not to worry and that I was excited to tour the city and do everything that he had planned.  I borrowed a large umbrella and we told Mama Salmón that we would be back around 3:45.  

From the piso we walked down the street to the beach.  It was raining but the temperature wasn't too cold.  There were a lot of surfers and people out running (I guess they're used to the rain).  Mike and I walked a long the beach, stopping to take some pictures.  We walked across the beach, climbing up some stairs that opened up into a park and streets that headed to the city center.  I really liked Santander from the little I had seen with the beach and lots of rain.  As we walked by the buildings and everyday residencies, I could tell the north was much richer than Andalucia.  We saw the Palacio of Festivales, shaped like an egyptian monument and the beautiful Palacio de la Magdalena, the King's summer retreat stretched out along the peninsula surrounded by the emerald woods.  After stopping to look at the house of Botín, Spain's richest man, we walked to Calle Ribera where I admired the bay, the city center and cathedral.  Mike and I went to the ticket center where we purchased tickets for the short boat ride to the other side of the bay.

On the boat, I had a fantastic view of Santander.  After a 20 minute ride, we disembarked and started our hike in the "Somo."  Walking along the designated trails through the green countryside, I could really see why this part of the country was called "Green Spain."  Absolutely beautiful.  As we walked through fields of pure green, I had a stunning 360 degree view of the ocean, sparking, and snow capped mountains.  After about an hour and half hike, we walked back down to the pier where we were picked up by the return boat heading back to Santander. 

We made perfect time as we got off the boat and caught the hourly rapid bus that took us right back to the piso.  For lunch Mama Salmón had made an amazing lentil soup which was the perfect rainy day meal.  I made a conscious effort to be a good guest and try everything she offered me.

At 4:45 Mike and I were picked up by Mikey G, Martha, and Maria.  Together we drove to the beautiful, in my opinion "stereotypical european," mountain town of Santillana del Mar.  Although slightly touristy with the many artisan shops, walking along the cobblestone streets in the rain with new friends was amazing.  We stopped in the little shops and museums, seeing a "games of our grandparents exhibit" and eventually winding our way up to a sparkling little lodge where we sat down for churros and chocolate.  The churros were smaller and sweeter than the ones in Granada.

We piled back in the car and drove down to the beach where the only light was the light house in the distance.  We then went to San Vincente de la Barquera, an ancient castle and cathedral build into the side of the mountain.  As we explored the castle and I climbed up the parapets to see the rain and lights splashing and reflecting on the water, I was so happy to have this opportunity to study abroad.

They drove us home where we had an excellent chicken dinner.  Mike went to get ready for bed and I talked with Mama Salmón about my life, American politics, and her opinions on Franco.  I went to bed around 11:30pm.

No comments: