Thursday, December 18, 2008

Chess, Jazz, and Afternoon Dreams in a Sun-Soaked Room

December 17th

International Relations had been canceled so I had extra time in the morning to finish reading over Christian's thesis.  I found it interesting and learned a little more about immigration policy in the US.

In Historia Política Social Contemporanea we watched "Lone Star" a 1950's Clark Gable film about the Independence Movement and subsequent annexation of the Texas during the 1840's.  We have been talking about the Contemporary History of the United States in this section of the course, I find it very interesting to study my country from abroad.

I had my last Salsa class of the semester.  Once again I was the only boy, and my teacher had me dance individually with all of the girls.  I can now legitimately say that I can salsa dance.  I really enjoyed the class and have plans to continue with it next year.

Back home I made lunch and then sat in our sunny living room and played 2 games of chess with Antonio.  Antonio rediscovered chess last week and has been on a binge.  Heiko put on some jazz and made us tea and then fell asleep in the IKEA chair like a cat in the sunny spot of the window.  The temperature was a little warmer than it has been (it snowed a little bit last week in the city) and it was really nice to spend the afternoon relaxing with my roommates.  USA: 2 Spain: 0 in the chess victory count so far.

We watched a video about Japan and then talked about the Japanese work ethic, comparing it to the Spanish idea of work (duh!) in Contemporary Social Structure.

Back home we had traditional German Christmas tea and pastries that Heiko had received from back home.  They were really good and it was nice to sit and talk with all of my roommates.  They're all going  back home, but I think we'll all be back in Granada for New Years.  Antonio and I played two more games of chess.  USA: 4 Spain: 0.

I went to sleep early to recharge my batteries before my two big trips this winter break.



No comments: