Sunday, December 14, 2008

The Weekend Begins Among Roman Ruins and Lonely Churches

December 11th

The past few weeks I'd been running by the Granada Archeological and Natural History Museum and I always meant to stop inside.  Walking along the cobble streets along the river bank, I entered the old building and museum for free with my student ID.  The beautiful two story building opened up into a cobble stone patio surrounded by columns and arches.  Lining the walls were ancient Roman ruins that had been discovered in Granada.  After a loud group of elementary school kids left, I was the only one in the museum.  I loved walking the empty corridors and looking at the historical artifacts.

I met up with one of my friends from the program for lunch.  After lunch, I still had an hour before my class.  Keeping up with my goal of visiting places that I haven't yet seen in Granada, I paid the admission to visit the ancient cathedral and monastery across the street from my college.  I guess the monastery is still used to this day, but as I went through the large wooden door to walk along the sun lit path ways, I was once again the only person.  In the center of the large complex was an orange grove.  I made a counterclockwise loop; stopping in all of the open doors, walking very slowly as I observed the old paintings and religious artifacts.  I eventually made my way to the cathedral where I stood alone in the great hall.  Whereas the main cathedral in Granada is painted all white and gold, this one was extravagantly decorated with exquisite details and once vibrant colors.

The doubled class time for Teoría del Estado was boring and a  waste of time in the sense that no one followed the short time limit that the professor had explicitly stated.  No one had a powerpoint and everyone read directly from their notes.  When it was finally my turn (I was presenting about the last chapter) I only had 5 minutes of class time left and would be late for my next class.  I ended up not finishing my presentation and will have to go again next Tuesday. 

I talked with some of the Erasmus students in my Estructura Social Contemporanea class before heading home to finish some leftovers for dinner.

I went over to my friend Jenna's house and then after a lot of people came over we went to the '50's music theme bar, El Tornado, and did the twist before going home.

No comments: