Sunday, March 8, 2009

The Art Of Hosting And The Reality That I Can't Do It All

March 6th,

I woke up around 11:00am after having slept in from the night before.  I had no real plans today on my day off other than having three girls from my program who I hadn't hung out with since practically ILP over for lunch.  After spending some time on the computer, I went to go shopping before they came.  I went to Mercado Central where after waiting in line for a bit I bought a chicken breast and hamburgers.  I then went to a fruit stand where I bought two huge, succulent tomatoes and 3 nice oranges.  I quickly came home, dropped the stuff off and then went to Mercadona.  I hurried back home, the heavy bags weighing me down, where I quickly cleaned up the entire kitchen and living room, set the table and cut up the oranges as appetizers.  I then started tomato sauce and laid out the chicken and tortellinis.  

Melissa, my group project partner, Veronica and Jennifer came over and I did my best to hold a conversation while cooking.  Hosting takes practice.  I'd like to get to the effortless point that my parents and grandparents are able to do.  Practice, I guess.  Everything turned out to be really good and we had some good conservations.  All 4 of us go to UCSD, but as our study abroad program is so big, I really hadn't hung out with any of them.  The girls left and I cleaned up.

Antonio and I had still been talking about Egypt and I wanted to talk to a travel agency as I was thinking the price we found online was too good to be true.  We went to the travel agency down the street and spent 30 minutes talking to the guide, who first gave us a price of 800 euros but after we told her that we'd found it for less than 500 on line, she was able to give us the same package, 4 nights on a cruise on the Nile and 3 in Cairo, for a final, everything included, price of 600 euros.  It will be an expensive trip but I feel that if I have the opportunity to see the pyramids while I'm young it will be an indescribable experience.  Also, to plan a trip to Egypt from home in the US it would be three or four times as much.  It looks like we will leave the same day that my mom returns home to California and will run into our spring break of Semana Santa.  I'll miss three days of school but I'll talk to my professors before hand.

Back home from the travel agency I decided to take a siesta as I knew I wouldn't sleep at all tonight.  Tomorrow I had plans to go to the quaint city of Ronda at 7:00am for a day trip.  Heiko was also going on trip, 10 days in the north of Spain, and as I had seemed to attend some sort of late night festivities before my last three or four trips we decided to throw our first large house party since December.  

I woke up at 10:00pm, showered and cleaned up the apartment.  I have to say I learned my lesson about throwing a party the day before a trip...don't do it.  In true Spanish fashion, no one showed up until 12:00am and the last guest left at 5:00am.  As the host and responsible one, I had to make sure that everyone was out and the apartment was ok.  I talked to the other people who had also wanted to go to Ronda and I told them that I was not going as I had to clean up my house.  It was a great party but also a reality check that I can't do it all.

No comments: