Thursday, March 19, 2009

In Spain, Protests Stop Class

March 12th,

I woke up at 11:30am to my alarm clock and went for a run around the Parque de Ciencías.  I ran up the seven flights of stair in my building to finish my run and stretch out on the roof.  I ate breakfast, showered and then went to buy some dvd's for my documentary.  I burned 8 copies and hoped they would work as Europe has a different format than North America or Japan.  I had wanted to finish the project completely before my afternoon class, but was unable to do so.

Teoría del Estado ended early as a protest against the "Plan Bolonia" was so loud that the professor couldn't be heard.  "Plan Bolonia," is a movement in Europe to unify and streamline all of the universities in the European Union.  This means an equal curriculum and classes in all of the universities.  This means that Spanish students will have to do more homework and complete their majors in 4 years instead of 5 or 6.  "Plan Bolonia," is a polemic topic here in Spain.  I always laugh at a little as it is less "corporate," less "hegemony," less "dictation," than the University of California.  Being let out early, I walked behind the protest until I cut up to my street.  

I quickly changed into salsa attire and went down to Calle Ronda where Nelson was holding a special class in a local gym.  A pretentious health club with white-capri wearing assistants passing out cut up fruit to the club members.  Lit candles guided the way up the staircase to the large dance hall where Nelson was giving his class.  Although a large group, I had a lot of fun.  Taking salsa was a great decision and I'd like to continue with it when I return to the US.

For dinner I'd been invited over to Rachel's.  A lot of people from program were there and we had a "media exchange program," of exchanging music and movies.  I hung out until 12:00 before coming back home to sleep.    

No comments: