Thursday, March 19, 2009

Finally Done With My Project...At 4am

March 15th,

I woke up at 6:00am and immediately started working on my project.  I was still not happy how the paper was coming along, especially my utter lack of good sources.  

At around 12:00 the girls woke up having stayed out late with the other girls from Morocco Exchange.  We sat on the balcony while they ate breakfast and booked their tickets back home to Madrid at 3:00pm

We decided to stop at "El Nido de Buho," on the way to the bus station in Plaza de toros.  Having discovered it when we arrived in August, "El Nido," is one of the best tapas bars in all of Granada.  The bar was packed on the Sunday afternoon and we had to eat outside using a ledge of the building as a table.  We had two rounds, the second being unnecessary as we only had about 20 minutes to get to the bus station.  We ended up running the last 100 meters.  I said goodbye to them as they boarded the bus to Madrid and then caught the city bus back to the centro.

In the next hour and a half before Melissa came over, I worked on my paper.  I was still worried that it wasn't very good, or at least not as articulate and concise as I wanted it to be.  Melissa came over and we spent the next 3 hours working on and finishing our powerpoint.  Neither one of us was done with our essay.

After Melissa left around 10:00, I went in the kitchen to have dinner with Heiko and Antonio.  We watched a little of Volver that was playing on TV.  The last time I'd seen it, I'd needed English subtitles.  Now I understood everything.  Knowing that I couldn't go to sleep until I'd finished my project, I made a cup of straight coffee with sugar and went to work.  Despite drinking coffee occasionally here in Spain, I still don't have much of a tolerance for caffeine and the one cup of coffee really worked.  I could feel the caffeine pulsing through my veins as I wrote.  In the next 6 hours, I finished my paper.  20 pages in total.  The writer's block that had plagued me all week fell as I was able to add some great sources from texts that I had read last year in my national security political science classes at UCSD that I still had saved on my computer as .pdf's.  I mailed the final copy to Melissa and then skyped my mom and brother before going to bed.  I'd be getting up in a few hours for class.

No comments: