Thursday, March 19, 2009

Class Picks Up and Salsa Simmers

March 10th,

I woke up at 10:30am after having dreamt a long time in Spanish.  The day was perfect and I changed into my running shorts and went for an hour run along the Río Genil.  Georgeous.  I stretched by the river and an all the way until I reached the last gas station before the national park of the Sierra Nevada mountains.  Back home Nathalie and her visiting friend from Germany, Anya, were eating breakfast on the balcony.  I ate with them before taking a shower and beginning to read more for my Imperialism project.

I read until lunch.  Antonio was feeling really sick and decided to go to the doctor.  I first hoped that he would be all right and then thought selfishly and wanted him to be better by the time we go to Egypt!  I ate the leftover rice, beans and chicken for lunch in the summer living room listening to music.  

After lunch, I read, but really wanted to be working on my movie.  I decided to see if I could record some really different opinions and went around Granada asking shop owners and the merchant salesmen.  No one wanted to be filmed, so I decided to stick with just the students.  Tourist season had arrived to Granada as the streets were filled with foreigners.  In true Spanish fashion, I took a quick 30 minute siesta before going to the facultad for my afternoon class.

In Teoría del Estado we had an intense debate about what is a "nation."  I participated a lot saying that I believed the "Nation of the United States," came after the "State of the United States."

I talked with some kids from my program before reading in the library for about half an hour.  I then went to Salsa for the most fast-paced and intense class that we've had yet. I danced with a of girls and Nelson made us practice a lot of new moves.  The last move that Nelson had me do was ridiculous.  With the girls back to me, I had to pick her up from behind, putting her legs around my waste, swinging her down, grabbing her hands between her legs and assisting her in the completion of the flip.  Crazy as her head almost hit the floor.  I was the only boy he had do it and we'll have to practice it a lot more.

Back home, I collected my laundry from the roof and then ate dinner of more leftovers.  I hung out a little with Nathalie and Anya, showing them pictures of me with my long hair. They couldn't believe it but liked it a lot.   I talked to Antonio who was feeling better.

I went to bed still having a lot to do on my project and realizing that I needed to finish it before the weekend as I wanted to go to the small city of Ronda.

No comments: