Sunday, March 8, 2009

Rabbit Rabbit, Our Weekend In Cádiz Comes To An End


March 1st,

Like the night before, I woke up smashed between the other people who had come in later.  How we thought we could sleep six in the same bed was ridiculous.  I slept on the floor in my sleeping bag until waking up at 11:30.

Tired from the night before but feeling pretty good considering we had just spent two full days and nights in Cádiz.  We packed everything up and checked out of the hotel.  Despite having a shower in hotel room, none of us had bothered to take one.  We planned to jump into the ocean today before going home so we would be "clean."

Our bus wasn't until 3:00pm so we had a few hours to walk around the city.  We went for another small breakfast of pan con tomate at a cafe in the city center.  On this last day of Carnaval, there were still people dressed up and bands singing and dancing in the street.  I don't think anyone actually works in Cádiz for the 10 days that Carnaval takes place.

From the cafe we went to the beach where the tide was so low that the stone bridge was completely dry. The water was so far out that that there was about 500 yards of additional beach.  Bake and Sarah jumped into the freezing water (the grey weather had returned and I thought it was pretty cold out).  I decided to walk along the beach and explore.  Passing in between tide pools, slippery walks and anchored fishing boats, I came to one of the corners of a castle built in the sea.  I explored the area around the castle before heading back in, afraid that I'd be trapped by the tide.  Back on the beach, we organized everything and went to look for the bus station.

We took a long, lost route through the city, seeing the last of Cádiz before boarding the bus back to Granada.  The bus ride was 5 hours but not too bad.  The countryside was beautiful with the hills glowing in the sun set.  Back in Granada it was raining.  We boarded the bus back to the center and I rode it with Sarah until Puerta Real.  I said goodnight and went up to my apartment, happy to be home.  After talking to my roommates, I took a much needed shower.  I finished up a homework assignment for Historia Política Social Contemporánea and thought of future trips before going to bed.

No comments: