Sunday, March 8, 2009

Calle San Antón Is The Place To Be!

March 3rd,

I woke up late around 11:00am and immediately started the day by cleaning my room, working on homework, working out and taking a shower.  I had breakfast around 1:30pm.

Trying to book flights for Barcelona when my Mom comes, my card wouldn't go through.  I called the credit card company but nothing was wrong with my card just their site.  I'd wait until tomorrow and try again.

I left messages on the Madrid embassy's phone as Antonio and I have found a potentially incredible trip to Egypt and I wasn't sure about what I'd need for a visa or the fact that I have Israel in my passport.

At 5:30 I went to class which was interesting.  We talked about the Theory of the State in detail and other polemic, crucial, quotidian topics like "Nation" and "Society."  Despite our debates and text assistance, I still find all three salient archetypes very difficult to classify and truly define.  

After class I went to salsa for a fantastic, advanced class.  I may start going 2 hours a week, to both classes, as there are not enough boys.

I had missed a call from my OL from summer, Mónica so I called her and although I'd had plans to go home, I took her up on her offer for tapas and met her at a really cool tapas restaurant that specializes in wine.  After tapas, I went home and was working on my computer, still in my dress shoes from salsa when Heiko came back from his own "tapas date" and wanted to go back out for one more.  We asked Alberto and Antonio if they wanted to go and decided to walk around our street in the center of the city and try a new place. 

We walked around Calle San Antón, all of us looking a little more preppy than usual. At the end of our street we saw the two bouncers guarding the entrance to some bar or club.  We had always passed by it and had seen very well dressed people going in and out but had never stopped by.  Thinking we weren't going to be allowed to enter, I was surprised when the bouncer opened the door and graciously let us in.  I was blown away to say the least as the bar/club/performance arts venue was the best decorated and overall stylish place I'd been to in all of Granada.  I couldn't believe it was only a 100 yards from my house.  We climbed a spanning staircase bathed in light and entered a huge room, a former movie theater.  A live band was playing a jazz set and the black dress shirt waiters made high class cocktails and tapas behind a bar that changed colors.  We sat down at a table and soaked in the venue.  I was happy to go out with my roommates, especially Alberto as he is never home, and find a new place in Granada.

Heading back to our apartment, we all agreed we lived in the best location in all of Granada.

No comments: