Thursday, March 19, 2009

The Start Of A Weekend In Which I Was Able To Do It All

March 13th,

I woke up really early on my day off at 7:00am to get a start on the pile of work I had to complete.  Basically coming home at the same time I woke up, Heiko returned home from his 8 day trip through northern Spain.  I talked with him and his friend Benjamin and Antonio too as our piso was a lively place at an early hour.

Having struggled with it all week, I sat down and forced myself to write more for my essay for my Imperialism project.  Melissa and I had divided the topic, with her focusing in on all of the generic, broad theory and my part being historical examples of American Imperialism from the Mexican-American war to the current occupation in Iraq and Afghanistan.  I had so much to write and it was hard to stay motivated.  

Around 11:30, I went over to the facultad at 11:30 to talk to the International Relations office to ask the coordinator about grades and talked to Inma about the summer job.  She told me I'd be better off not taking it as I should be here to see my final grades and contest them if something is incorrect.  I went grocery shopping for the weekend before returning home to work.

I kept working in the afternoon although I was getting easily distracted.  I did receive an email from ArtPower! at UCSD letting me know about student job positions for next year.  I would love to work for ArtPower and the two positions working in the Loft, the new performing arts center and restaurant, would be so much fun.  I'll send in my resume and cover letter although I'm not sure if I'll be able to do it as an is already a huge time commitment.  

After a two hour siesta, I kept working.  I'd written a lot but I felt that my sources were weak.  

I've added beans to my cooking repertoire.  I'd let a bowl of black beans soak for all of yesterday and after boiling them for an hour, had them with the rice and chicken.  The improvement of my cooking skills is a slow process.  Heiko made some vegetables and we had a nice shared dinner.

At 11:00pm, my friends Rebbecca and Caryn who I had met on Morocco Exchange the month before called me to let me know they were at the bus station.  Studying in Madrid until May, the girls had called me early this morning letting me know that they were coming to Granada and asked if they could stay with me.  I've done similar things this year in regards to asking people if I can stay with them so I said it was fine, but I did reemphasize the fact that I would basically not be here this weekend as tomorrow I would be going to Ronda and the rest of my free time would be dedicated to my project.

I met them at the bus station and we came back to the centro.  I still wanted to be a good host so we went to one of my favorite tapas bars.  We were all tired and went back to my piso to sleep early.

No comments: