Friday, January 23, 2009

A 13 Hour Siesta

January 18th,

I woke up at 10:30am after 13 hours of sleep.  I felt good, but I knew something was wrong if I was able to sleep that much that easily.  

It was a gorgeous Sunday and I got up and started working on the last trabajo for Historia Política Social Contemporánea.  About the war in Spain between the conservative Carlista forces and the liberal forces of Isabel II, the subject was one in that I've had no previous exposure.  I read all of the texts and began writing the trabajo.

Heiko had left this morning to return to Germany where he will be working on his Honor's Thesis at his German university.  He's somehow balancing finals at both universities.

For my other large project in Historia Política Social Contemporánea I'll be writing it on the "Grapes of Wrath" by Jon Steinbeck and tying it into the current financial crisis.  Its part of a larger project on a historical novel from any country and covering any subject.

At 5:45, I decided to take a walk as I had been inside all day and wanted to see if I could catch the sunset up at the Mirador of St. Nicolas.  Its a longer walk than I think and I arrived at the top of the look out just after the sun had set.  It was quite beautiful as the early nautical twilight held the Alhambra and the sparking city in a last glow.  I ran into my friends Anna and Federica from France and Italy and they invited me to for a cafe.  We found a small "teteria," tea house in one of the cobblestone streets of the Albaycín and I asked the shop owner for something that would be good for a cold.  She made me a special blend that was quite good.  We talked for about an hour before heading back down to the centro.

Back home, I organized what I would need for the week and went to bed early.

The rest of the day I did laundry and organized what I would need for the next week.

No comments: