Saturday, January 31, 2009

La Historia de los Estados Unidos or the History of Granada?

January 27th

With my final starting at 10:00am, I woke up at 8:30 with plenty of time.  Arriving at the facultad early, I printed out my essay in the fotocopiadora.  I then went up stairs to Aula 17 where I sat next to Constantine from Austria.  Profesor Martínez came in (the first day I'd seen him not wearing a suit) and handed out the exam.

The exam was four questions and we had to choose 2, 1 from Universal History and 1 from Spanish History.  For the Universal Historia, there was a question about "US interests of expansionism, the Monroe Doctrine, the "Question of Texas," and the War against Mexico."  I nailed it.  I wrote 6 detailed pages.  The essay I wrote about the "Constitution of Cádiz" that I chose for Spanish History was less long and less detailed but I managed to write a fair amount.  I felt confident and think I did well overall.

After the final it took me a while to leave the building as I went to look for the mail box where we need to turn in our paper and ended up talking to Peter from England and Constantine about the exam.  Leaving the college, my professor was exiting at the same time.  We were walking in the same direction and we ended up walking together all the way to Puerta Real.  We talked about the United States and Granada.  My professor is a native of Granada and he said that it had changed so drastically in the last 30 years after Franco.  

Back home, feeling good about the day, I grabbed my book bag and went out to buy more fresh produce.  Antonio and I made a random, rice, egg, and sausage combo for lunch that turned out to be pretty good.

After waking up from a quick nap, I found Antonio and asked him if wanted to see another movie.  Antonio had downloaded a lot of movies with Audrey Hepburn and had even changed his background to a picture of her.  Rather than go to the film festival, we watched "Ariane," or "Love in the Afternoon."  It was quite good.  

That evening I skyped my mom, brother and my roommate of the last 2 years, Dane.  Talking with everyone, I missed home, but at the same time loved being in Spain even more.  This year is once in a lifetime and I want to make the most of it.  Before going to bed, I played with ticket prices on the Ryanair website and watched videos of San Fermín, Pamplona, the running of the bulls.  I'd like to go in July.

No comments: