Friday, January 16, 2009

Back Home to Granada

January 11th

I woke up at 7:00am and used the light of my cell phone to organize everything without waking up the other 8 people in the room.  We took quick showers and then went downstairs for the free breakfast and to check out of the hostel.

We made great timing on the Metro and bus to the airport, arriving with plenty of time before our flight.  Checking in to Ryanair, we went through and waited at our gate.  The flight to Dublin was good, although the last 30 minutes were a little sketchy as there was a ton of turbulence.  So much that I tightened my seat belt and prepared for the worst.  The pilot did a good job landing thought as it wasn't nearly as rocky as I had expected.

It was very windy in Dublin as we walked across the tarmac to the airport.  We then had to do the ridiculous thing of having to get an Ireland stamp in our passport so we could then immediately leave the country in four hours.  I was questioned quite a bit as it appeared strange that I had two separate flights.  Blame it on Ireland's unofficial national airline, Ryanair.  We got through and decided to step outside of the airport to breathe some "fresh Irish air," before coming right back in to sit in the upstairs cafe and talk before heading back down through security.  

We didn't really have to wait that long as the flight boarded early.  We stopped in a book store and I read the newest issue of Time about Israel.  Israel is in a catch-22 and is held to a double standard by the international community.

Our flight was 30 minutes late taking off as there was a long line of planes on the runway.  Despite the delay, we still arrived 10 minutes early in Malaga.  It was a full moon and on the flight back the glowing orb illuminated the whole sky and clouds below our plane.

Back in Malaga, we quickly caught the bus to the central station.  Much faster than the tram.  Arriving at the station, Jon bought his bus ticket back to Granada for the 10pm bus and then we went to the mall next door for dinner at my favorite Spanish fast-food restaurant, "100 Monteditos."  

On the bus back to Granada, I fell quickly to sleep.

Instead of taking a taxi, Jon and I decided to walk back from the bus station.  I said goodbye to Jon at his piso by Plaza del Toros and then walked the last 30 minutes back to my apartment in the center of Granada.  

Back home at last after a month of non-stop travel, I skyped my parents and fell asleep by 3:00am.

No comments: