Saturday, January 31, 2009

Noise In The Morning and Sun Soaked Afternoons

January 29th

I got up at 10:30am and went out on my balcony, enjoying the perfect weather.  I must have still have been sleeping a little to not have heard the noise, as I was quite surprised to open the door of my room and find the 2 plumbers tearing up the radiator pipes.  The landlord came immediately too and so ensued a noisy morning.  What ended up being a 4 hour job, eventually resulted in our heating being fixed.  The landlord, a good guy, was watching the plumbers the whole time to make sure they got it right this time.  They tore everything apart and came into my room to test it.  One of the plumbers saw my California flag and asked if I "knew Tupac."  No, never met him.  

After a quick breakfast, I went back to my room, put in my earplugs and went about finishing my essay.

Before lunch, I went to return the clothes rack I'd purchased yesterday as it completely broke when I put on the weight of the clothes.  I'll just use the clothes line on the roof.  I finished up my essay and decided to let it sit.

I went into the kitchen for a break and sprawled out on the couch in the sun talking to Nathalie and Heiko.  It was perfect outside and Heiko and I decided to take a walk up to the Mirador of San Nicolas.  I brought my camera and took some photos as we walked toward the Albaycín.  We took a different route than normal and got a little lost.  We passed beautiful houses with interior courtyards and walls decorated with traditional granadino plates.  We eventually found the Mirador and were treated to the amazing view of the Alhambra with its backdrop of snow capped mountains and the shining city sprawled out below.  Flocks of birds flew in circles in the last bright rays of light.  A group of musicians were playing guitar, clapping, and dancing flamenco.  The whole wall was occupied with people.  We stayed until the sun set, watching the red drop cascade beyond the horizon like a tear.  We walked back a different way, passing a park and the street of teterías.  I want to make a movie as Granada is so beautiful.

Back home I made my box of tortellinis and drank some granadino, loose-leaf tea.  I need a tea strainer.  That evening I read for Estructura Social Contemporánea as my final is next Tuesday.

No comments: