Saturday, January 31, 2009

Shop. Local.

January 24th

I got up around 10:30 to a wet, grey, rainy day.  I wanted to start working as fast as I could but knew that I should go shopping as I wouldn't be able to tomorrow and wouldn't want to on Monday or Tuesday after finals.  Finishing writing a big grocery list, I put on my dirty blue jeans, hiking boots, black sweater, scarf and jacket.

Before stopping at the market, I went to the Teatro Isabel la Católica to ask a few questions about Granada's Classic film festival that will start tomorrow.  Finding it closed, I kept to my plan and went to the local fruit stands in Plaza de la Pescadería, purchasing a kilo of locally grown tangerines and strawberies.  I then went to the Mercado Central de Granada where after making one pass through the market, I doubled back to a local butcher and bought a filleted chicken breast and fresh eggs.  I bought some fresh carrots at a vegetable stand and had most of my groceries.  I was glad to support the local businesses.

Dropping the groceries at home, I went back to the theater which had opened at 12:00.  The line was long and I was standing next to a lady who I thought was from the US and an older Spanish woman.  We chatted a little on and off while I read about "Retroback Festival."  The city of Granada would be putting on a film festival of classic films from Spain, Italy, and the US.  The festival also included a tribute to Audrey Hepburn.  When it was my turn for the ticket office, the older lady thought the other lady and I were couple.  The lady laughed, saying she was 37.  I said I was 20.  She was from Australia.  I bought a pass for 5 films.  The films will be shown in original form.  I'm most excited for "Breakfast and Tiffany's" and "Roman Holiday" with Audrey Hepburn.

I finished my shopping for the day at the supermarket, Mercadona before coming home to make a fantastic soup for lunch.  After lunch I began working on my paper about "Las Uvas de la Ira," or the "Grapes of Wrath" for my History class.

Later that afternoon, I skyped my dad and brother to wish Hunter a happy 17th birthday!  I also talked to Nathalie and Antonio about going to Carnival for Cadiz.  Not sure if I'll be able to go as I'll be in Barcelona the weekend of February 21st visiting Alex and Vanessa.

I finished up the soup for dinner and spent the rest of the night studying and sending messages to family and friends.

No comments: