Friday, January 23, 2009

You Say "Say-Clor" and I say "See-Clor"

January 22nd,

I woke up at 10:00am after 10 hours of solid sleep.  Outside it was cold and raining.  I took my last dose of medicine from the pharmacy and then called the number that I had been given from Inma to the private medical clinic.  The earliest I could be seen today was 6:45pm.  

For lunch I met up with Danielle and Whitney from my program who I haven't really talked to that much, if at all.  They will both be leaving at the semester along with a good portion of the people from my program.  Its funny to think about and a little frightening as they will soon be finishing their study abroad experience and mine will be ending "shortly" thereafter.  If anything, it just shows how fast time is going.

Despite the fact that they will be leaving, we had a great lunch and filled it with good conversation about our opinions on Obama, the Middle East, study abroad, and future goals.  After lunch, we walked back to the bus stop in the rain where I said goodbye and caught a bus back to the facultad.  

The additional section for Estructura Social Contemporanea was canceled so I only had Teoria Del Estado.  I went upstairs to where the professor's offices are and knocked to see if my professor for Teoría del Estado was there.  He was and I came in to tell him that I couldn't attend the last class as I had the doctor's appointment.  He said it was fine, told me to drink a lots of liquids, and email him if I had questions about the final.  I felt bad for missing his last class, especially since I was feeling pretty good and hadn't been coughing nearly as much as the past few days during any of the conversations that I had had.  Still I knew it was important to go to the doctor and see what I had.

It began to rain a lot as I walked over to the doctor's office about 15 minutes from my piso.  It took me a little while to find, but I finally did and went inside to check in.

Doctor Noguerras was very nice and professional.  It was a little difficult describing the symptoms in Spanish but she seemed to understand me just fine.  She prescribed me three medications, an antibiotic, an anti-inflammatory, and an inhaler as the cold I had the week before became a small infection in my lungs and triggered my normally very, very weak exercise induced asthma.  The prescriptions were for 10 days and she told me that if I wasn't better by then I should come back.  I paid the visit fee (I'll be reimbursed by the UC insurance) and walked back home.  

The one thing I had to be careful for with the prescription I received was that none of the medication was related to "Ceclor" as I am allergic to that medication.  When I went to the pharmacy, I asked the pharmacist if the medication was similar to "Ceclor." She didn't know what medication I was talking about.  I said it again and then asked if I should write down the name.  Once I wrote it down she smiled and said "Oh, SAY-clor."  I had been pronouncing it as you would in English and had forgotten to change it to the Spanish pronunciation. 

Back home I made dinner and talked to Nathalie and Antonio.  Its just us three this weekend as Alberto and Heiko are away. 

I skyped my mom and my brother before going to bed.

No comments: