Thursday, January 22, 2009

Home Made Paella

January 17th,

I woke up at 11:00am, looked at my watch and fell back asleep until 1:00pm.  Waking up for real, I looked out the window and was greeted with a beautiful day.  The weather was absolutely perfect, bright and sunny.

I went out on the balcony to talk to Antonio and Heiko who were also enjoying the sun.  I ate "breakfast" at the little table on my balcony.

Heiko had been talking about making a paella all week so after getting ready, I walked with him to the store and we bought all of the necessary ingredients, sea food, rice, vegetables, saffron, for the traditional Spanish dish.

Back home we laid out all of the ingredients and realized that we needed a bigger pan.  Antonio and I went down a floor in the apartment building and rang the doorbell of one of our older neighbors.  The old Spanish lady answered the door and we asked her if she had a traditional paella dish.  She did and after thanking her graciously we told her we return it as soon as were done.

Making the paella was a lot of fun as we semi-followed the recipe of Antonio's mother and tried our own ideas.  It turned out be quite good (if nothing else it looked how it was supposed to!) and we ate almost all of it.  We made sure to save some for our neighbor, who we gave a plate to along with her cleanly washed paella pan.

I was feeling pretty sick and wanted to go asleep although I knew I should wait until it was later so I would sleep a whole night. 

The rest afternoon and early evening I skpyed my family and continued studying for the upcoming final exams.  I went to bed at 9:00pm.

No comments: