Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Carnival in Barcelona

February 21st,

I got up at 9:30 took a shower and had a breakfast of muffins and juice.  Alex came by with his friend and dropped off some supplies for the office.  Vanessa called me and I went downstairs to meet her on the corner.

We drove over to her parent's house so she could drop off the car as today we would take the metro.  Vanessa's parents made us some coffee and gave me a tour of their incredible house right in the center of Barcelona.

From her parent's house, we caught the metro and took to the stop by the Cathedral of Barcelona.  Unfortunately, part of its spectacular facade was covered for renovation but it was a beautiful building and I really enjoyed the interior gardens.  From the cathedral we went to the Plaza de Catalonia and then headed down to the statue of Columbus before going to a cool fairy tail theme cafe.  Alex called to let us he would meet up with us soon and while we were waiting we explored Port Vell.  I love Barcelona.

Alex picked us up in his car and we drove in the direction of the Olympic Stadium to have lunch on the beach.  We found a great restaurant and sat down to order a paella  and sangría.  Alex and Vanessa had been paying for everything this whole trip so I paid for lunch. I had to do it covertly though as I knew they wouldn't let me pay for lunch when the waiter brought the check, so instead I excused myself to go to the bathroom and really went and asked the waiter I could pay right away.  I'll have to practice my stealthiness as they saw my pay and were very gracious.  Alex asked me why I had done it so secretly and I replied that "I had remembered from the summer when my dad had tried to pay and Alex had almost used bujinkan on him to prevent him from doing so."  The paella was good and sipping sangría with the backdrop of the ocean was all too perfect.

After lunch we walked along the beach, cutting back toward the center of Barcelona. We explored the gothic quarter and visited another church.  This one had been built stone by stone with rocks carried from the sea.

We drove back home, all of us tired.  I helped Alex translate some documents and rested.  They had been telling me all day to prepare myself for the upcoming night as the guys from the dojo who I'd met in August would be taking me out on the town.  

At. 7:30 they picked me up and we drove to the supermarket to buy groceries and costumes.  I found a "lucha libre" wrestling mask for 2 euros.  Paco, Jose and Morla were all in their mid twenties and had been students of Alex for many years.  I was really tired but would power through.  We met up with some of their other friends in the parking lot and then drove over to Morla's piso where we began to cook dinner.  I washed the dishes before the kitchen was taken over by Jose who proceeded to instruct the cooking of the different dishes.  I talked with everyone before we sat down to dinner.  Once finished, we all dressed up in our costumes and got ready for the night.

We boarded the metro to find it filled with costumed people.  A group of bumble bees entered and we took pictures.  We went to a great club called "Razzmatazz" that was full and a lot of fun.  Everyone was dressed up.  We partied all night, literally as they drove me back home to the guest piso at 8:30 in the morning.  I was exhausted.

No comments: