Monday, February 9, 2009

Of Breakfast at Tiffany's and the Superbowl

February 1st

Waking up at 10:00am, I went into the kitchen where Heiko, Antonio, Nathalie and Julia had started cooking breakfast.  Today we were making brunch before going to see "Breakfast at Tiffany's" for the last day of the "Retroback" film festival in Granada.  With scrambled eggs, bread, jam, yogurt, fruit, and juice we had a great late breakfast.

We walked over to the Teatro de Isabel la Catolica where we found seats in the back of the old theater.  I had never seen "Breakfast at Tiffany's," or "Desayuno con Diamantes" in Spanish, and I really enjoyed it.

We came back and made a light lunch while watching Nadal win the Australian Open.  I went to my room to read for Estructura Social Contemporánea.

At 10:00pm, after much debate, I went back to the movies with Heiko to use up my last ticket.  We saw another Hepburn movie, "Two for the Road" and I enjoyed the dark comedy.  After the showing, I was able to have one of the posters from the festival that is now hanging in my room.

It was pouring rain so we ran back to our apartment, dodging the raindrops.  I had received an invitation for a Superbowl party from one of the guys from my program.  I was also debating to go as although I really wanted to see it as its one of the most American holidays, I also like doing things completely different here during my year abroad.  Heiko wanted to "experience American culture" so we decided to go.  We took a taxi over to the bar in Plaza de Toros.  

Our friends were the only ones in the bar on the rainy Sunday night, but we filled it with our loud conversation and cheers and groans over the game.  The game was projected on a giant screen and on plasma tvs hanging on the walls.  I explained some of the rules to Heiko, as it was the first football game he had seen.  I was glad to talk to everyone as some of them I hadn't seen in almost 2 months.  A lot of people are leaving, having finished their semester.  The year has gone by so fast.  Watching the Superbowl streamed to Spain was a fun experience as for some reason none of the commercials came through so instead it was just an analysis by Spanish sports experts talking in Spanish about a game they didn't really understand.  We watched the game until 3:00am as the bar tender had to close.

It had stopped raining, so rather than taking a taxi or spending 30 minutes to walk back, we decided to jog.  We made it back in about 8 minutes although my large jacket, scarf and boots weren't exactly the most conducive for running.

No comments: