Sunday, November 30, 2008

An All-Day Hike in Güejar Sierra








November 22nd

Heiko woke me up and I put on my "new" boots.  Today we were going on a hike to the Sierra Nevada mountains and were supposed to be meeting up with our friends at 9:45am.  I put some cheese and salami in a tupperware and stopped by my favorite bread store to buy some bocadillos to bring along.  At the bus stop we met up with our international group of friends.  Marta, Ila, and Federica from Italy, Anna from France, and Christian from Austria.

We took bus 390 from the bus stop at the end of my street by the River Genil to a little town called "Güejar Sierra" about 45 minutes away.  The bus was very inexpensive as it only cost 3 euros for a round trip ticket.  After a pit stop at a café, we climbed the path out of the town and entered the Sierra Nevada national park.  The day was perfect and the terrain reminded me of hiking in California.  The mountains in the distance were covered in snow, but where we were in the foothills it was warm enough to only wear a sweater.  I enjoyed talking with everyone in the group as they all have such cool backgrounds.  Stopping for a picnic, we found a flat area surrounded by some large boulders to block the wind.  We saw a snake, basked in the sun, and admired the snow capped mountains.

The bus only had two return trips at 3:00pm and 6:00pm so after missing the early one we headed down and caught the late one back home.  For dinner, Heiko and I made some great pasta with our own freshly made marinara sauce.

I needed to study, so I locked myself in my room but eventually came out as  ton of people started coming over.  Anna, the French girl who had hiked with us that morning, invited me to a party in the Albaycín.  Coincidentally, the party was at the shared piso of one of the kids from my program and one of her French friends.  Living in Granada is a lot of fun, as there is always something going on, but its small enough where I'll run into the same people and overlapping social groups.

No comments: