Friday, November 21, 2008

Same Topics, Different Language

November 19th

Got up at 8:15, ate a quick breakfast, showered and went to Relaciones Internacionales where my definition for "power" ("la habilidad para hacer lo que quiera") was the class example.  I like going to school with students from so many different countries.  Everyone has a different experience and a story to tell.

Salsa was fantastic.  I'm slowly improving.

I stopped at the local bakery on my street and bought some fresh bocadillos and some good raisin bread.

My presentation in Public Polilcy went pretty well.  Out of all my classes, this one has the highest level of Spanish and is the most difficult to understand.  I generally feel that I'm in the mid to high range among the foreign students in regards to understanding the language and participating in class.  In this one, I am definitely one of the worse.  The class is mostly Spaniards with a large group of French students who speak Spanish perfectly.  The teacher speaks very quickly in an accent very Andaluz.  If I can keep up in here I'll be fine in my other ones.

Back home, I changed and went for a run in the Parque de Federico García Lorca.  It feels great to get back into shape.

I met up with Jan and Julia from Germany, and Christian from Austria at 9:00 to go for tapas.  The point of me going (as I have a lot of work) was to talk with Christian about his Master's thesis that he has asked me to proofread for diction and syntax.  He goes to an English-speaking university in Austria and his thesis will be in English.

Back home I watched part of the Chile vs. Spain soccer game with Antonio, Heiko, and Alberto.  We talked about sports, girls, and politics.  They're the same conversations I've had in the US with my friends from back home, but just in a different language.

No comments: