Wednesday, November 12, 2008

President Elect Barack Obama and an Overall Amazing Day

November 5th

To preface this entry and to better elucidate what happened throughout the day, I'd like to say that I voted for Barack Obama with my absentee ballot.  I'm hesitant to post that publicly as I have family and friends on both sides of the political aisle.  For the record, I do not consider myself a Republican nor Democrat as the social issues that I believe in divide me between the parties.  I do not like the Bush Administration as I believe that my generation will be paying for the mistakes that they have made.  Since I've been here in Spain I've had the opportunity to view my country from a different perspective and one that is many times very critical.  I have had many conversations with people from all over the world and I have been able to see how right now the United States is part of a love/hate relationship.  I do not think that Barack Obama is going to "save" or "change" the world, but one of the reasons I voted for him was because I know that he will improve the image of the United States in the rest of the world and begin to repair our relations with other countries.  I liked John McCain a lot in 2000, but I feel that he sold out in order to obtain the party's nomination.  I consider him a true patriot and view him as a good role model in regards to service to one's country.  Nevertheless, I felt that he would have been a continuation of the same policies and for that reason I voted for Barack Obama.  If you would like to hear my more in depth opinion about the election and candidates, please send me an email at mqjones@ucsd.edu.


Starting at 12:00am, I watched the coverage of the American election on the Spanish news channel, in Spanish.  They were hosting a non-stop, 8 hour marathon and were relaying live feed from Spanish reporters stationed all around the United States.  In addition, I had my computer opened up to the CNN and New York Times home pages and kept hitting refresh to see the newest electoral college results.  I went to bed at 3:00am and got up at 6:30am to see the final results.  When I turned on the TV, I was greeted by Obama's solemn, victory speech.  For the next hour and a half I watched the post election coverage and analysis by the Spanish pundits before going to class.

I went back over to the "Oficina de Correos" where I finally received my package.  I had enough time to run back to my apartment to open it up.  Inside were some warm clothes and the things I had really been waiting for: Amazing "Umbral" t-shirts from my brother's company, my "California Republic" flag, and a bottle of Tapatio hotsauce!

I pinned by "Obama-Biden" pin on my jacket and walked to my class in the poli sci college a few blocks away from my apartment.  As I walked along the street, people stopped and stared at the pin and congratulated me.  In my Relaciones Internacionales class, everyone looked at my pin and the professor, who is normally very critical of the United States, seemed very happy.  In my next class, I received an applause; as my professor put it, "for Obama and America."  Its difficult to articulate the change in feeling that was in the air.  As I've mentioned before, I would normally say that I was from California first and then the United States as there is Anti-American sentiment but I felt (and I think its true) that California evokes a different image and although I am always ready to discuss and defend my country, I feel that if people are going to judge its better to give them an image that they think is positive.  Not today.  Today I shed the "Independent Republic of California" identity and basked in a truly incredible ambiance.  Everyone I met was excited and only had good things to say about the United States.  Superficial or not, I could tell that these other students and people had grown up with varying images of the United States; one as the savior of Europe from two World Wars and the other as the global machine only thinking of ourselves.  I think all of the people I met had always wanted to like the United States and this new election gave them a reason to do so.

Salsa dancing was really fun.  I've improved a lot and my teacher, Nelson, now asks me to demonstrate some of the moves.  I'm still not that good as I get confused with the new moves, but I'm enjoying the class a lot.

I went grocery shopping and had to dodge raindrops on the way back.

That afternoon I watched a little more of election coverage.  Spain is very excited as the Zapatero government has had luke warm relations with President Bush.

I volunteered for an extra project in my Public Policy class.  I have to read an additional packet and do a presentation. Its more work but I think it will be worth it as I get more Spanish practice and the teacher now knows that I'm a student who cares.

Back at my piso, I met up with Nathalie and together we walked over to Plaza del Toros for a Tapas Erasmus Party.  There were a lot of people at the posh tapas bar and I hung out with my Erasmus and American friends.  We stayed out pretty late and went to Vogue discotheque as admission was included with the tapas.

No comments: